MCofS FUNdamentals of Climbing
FUNdamentals Workshops at Glenmore Lodge
The following workshops are based at Glenmore Lodge near Aviemore
Oct 31stF1 Glenmore Lodge Jon Jones or Derek Bain
Nov 1st F2 Glenmore Lodge Jon Jones & Derek Bain
Nov 2nd F3 Glenmore Lodge Jon Jones
Nov 14thF1 Glenmore Lodge Jon Jones or Derek Bain
Nov 15thF2 Glenmore Lodge Jon Jones & Derek Bain
Nov 16thF3 Glenmore Lodge Jon Jones
Have you ever thought it would be great to share your climbing experience with the people you climb with, while growing your own climbing skills and knowledge?
We run a series of three one day workshops
for climbers interested in helping coach others
– be they friends or family, club members, school kids, Scouts or Duke of
Edinburgh participants. With a greater background understanding of climbing techniques, balance and movement, you can find your own performance on the wall or crag improves too.
What's it all about?
- The FUNdamental workshops aim to help develop climbing coaches who know what to coach, but also how to coach, building someone's confidence and enthusiasm when they're at that tricky stage of learning the basics.
- Key themes include how to make the session fun, how this can be achieved through appropriate planning and how to take account of the variable physical, emotional and social backgrounds of participants.
- The workshops are modules required as part of the training pathway for the new Climbing Coach Award Scheme which has been launched in 2015 by Mountain Training.
- A team of MCofS trained and endorsed coaches will deliver FUNdamentals workshops around Scotland with two trainers per workshop.
- The workshops are ideal for anyone climbing with children or novice adults including full-time coaches and climbing wall staff, teachers and Active Schools coordinators, youth workers, Duke of Edinburgh or Scouts and Guides leaders, parents or club members.
There are three workshops
- The FUNdamentals of Climbing 1: Movement
- The FUNdamentals of Climbing 2: Technique
- The FUNdamentals of Climbing 3: Advanced Technique & Movement
- Price: £80 MCofS members / £95 non-members (including free MCofS membership for one year) / £60 host climbing wall staff
- Workshop places: minimum 8 to maximum 12.
- Each workshop is a 1 day (8 hour) course.
- Larger numbers can be catered for by booking a private workshop
- The workshop comprises both theoretical and practical elements:
- Presentations: introducing basic climbing principles, coaching techniques and the ideas of long term participant development (LTPD)
- Practical: demonstrating basic climbing principles including movement (on vertical wall and slab), body position and body awareness which all impact upon climbing efficiency. Practicing coaching techniques to help novices understand these climbing principles; designing a coaching session, how to coach and how to give feedback
- Written resources: the MCofS Coaching Resource Pack.
What is included in the cost:
- Entry fee to the host wall for the day
- The MCofS FUNdamentals of Climbing Coach Resource Packs
- 1 day coaching from qualified and experienced coaches
- Certificate of Attendance (required for the MT Coach Awards)
What is not included in the cost:
- Your food and drinks for the day (these can be purchased at the Café of the Host Venue)
- Suitable clothing: clothing that you are comfortable to climb in (contact the MCofS if you need advice)
- Personal climbing equipment
- Rock shoes (not always necessary but recommended. Loose fitting shoes of any sort are not suitable. Rock shoes can be hired at the climbing wall)
- Harness & belay devices are not usually necessary for the FUNdas 1 workshop, but may be for FUNdas 2
- The ‘Workshop Outline’ contains the details of eligibility to attend a workshop (click on the links above).
- You should have some climbing experience but we will cater for those who are themselves novices to climbing, but who have personal experience of other sports, and teaching or coaching other sports, and have an interest in coaching climbing.
- The minimum age to attend a workshop is 14 years.
Find out more or book your place
- MCofS members can log into our online Members Portal and book straightaway - a more detailed information form will be sent to you to complete in your booking confirmation email.
- If you are not yet a member, call our membership team on 01738 493948 - we will be able to take payment for your booking over the phone (and set up your free year's membership).
- If your employer is paying for your course, give us a call too and we can set this up via an invoice.
- For further information or to book a private workshop, email Kevin Howett, MCofS Sports Development Officer or call 01738 493946.
Organise a private workshop
- Individually tailored workshops for staff from organisations and companies.
- £550 / workshop.
- The maximum number of places on the course is 8.
- Bookings and arrangements should be made directly to Kevin Howett at the MCofS.
NEW: University and College Mountaineering/Climbing Club workshops:
These workshops are for Students who are members of University/College Clubs affiliated to the MCofS.
Bookings should be made by the Club Officials directly to Kevin Howett at the MCofS in the first instance (to arrange a date and venue and obtain application forms).
The Student Club Officials are responsible for gathering the completed Application Forms from those attending the workshop and sending to the MCofS at least 2 weeks prior to the workshop [NB: only those students registered with MCofS as members of the Club are eligible to attend].
The Student Club Officials are responsible for arrangeing a single payment of the workshop fee to the MCofS 1 week prior to the workshop.
Price: £350 / workshop [NB: only members from a single Student Club can attend that club's workshop].
Attendees will have to pay the normal entry fee to the host climbing wall on the day, and are responsible for ensuring they have all the necessary equipment (see above).
The maximum number of places on the course is 8.
These workshops are offered at discounted prices as support to Student Clubs.
Is your Club Affiliated? Contact Jane at MCofS
Your University may help your club administer and pay for this workshop?