The following pages contain information for those wishing to get active in the hills, glens and on the cliffs of Scotland or to keep up to date with what’s going on in the world of mountaineering.
The MCofS offers advice and information on every aspect of hill walking and mountaineering as well as issuing regular news and views, background to mountaineering ethics, mountaineering initiatives and issues, and offers forums for debate on issues affecting the sport.
We also support the Scottish Government's Active Nation initiative which encourages people to make lasting lifestyle changes which will improve their health, their family's health and the country's health.
- Starting Out: Information on mountain walking (summer or winter), scrambling, bouldering, rock climbing, ice and ‘mixed’ climbing, 'sport mixed' or mountaineering and ski mountaineering in Scotland. Here you will also find information about clubs and climbing walls.
- Kids: Details and up to date news of MCofS activities for and by young climbers (e.g. REALrock, coaching, feature articles, indoor events). Parental information includes child protection issues and the MCofS booklet "Children: Hill Walking, Climbing, Mountaineering - Information for Parents".
- Coaching: CoachWise articles from Dave MacLeod giving advice on how to become a better climber; Details of the work of the MCofS in coaching in climbing performance .
- Climbing Competitions: All about indoor climbing competitions in Scotland (schools competitions, Youth Series, Scottish Youth Teams, local competitions and the Tooling Series) as well as British and International competitions.
- Visitor Guides: Munros & Corbetts, Rock Climbing in Scotland, Winter Climbing in Scotland and Accommodation details for visitors.
- Mountain Article & Photo Competitions: Join MCofS and the Edinburgh Mountain Film Festival in promoting mountain writing and photography in our competitions.
- Climbing & Mountaineering Support: If you are planning an expedition, attempting a world class climb, extending your personal climbing goals or competing in National or International competitions, information about 'Grants' and 'Bursaries' is available here.
- Mountaineering Ethics: The Climbing Ethics of Scotland, the work of the world federation of mountaineering (UIAA), and ethical guidance on how we conduct our sport and look after the environment we do it in.
- Womens Mountaineering: Some specific information about mountaineering for women.
- Taking Climbing Forward: The MCofS and the Active Schools Initiative and the Government's Health & Education agenda.
- Mountaineering Events: how the MCofS undertakes its events (Events Protocol).
If you are looking for technical skills courses (navigation, avalanche awareness, winter and summer skills etc.) look on the Mountain Safety Courses pages elswhere on the site.
If you can’t find what you’re looking for here contact the MCofS Sports Development Officer, Kevin Howett at the MCofS Office.
Development Officer Contact:
Tel: 01738 493 946 (Direct Voicemail)
Fax: 01738 442 095